8 Ways to Increase Sperm Count with Natural Foods and Supplements – The human sperm plays vital role in childbearing, a healthy sperm amount is often necessary for fertility. Low sperm count (Oligospermia) is refers to the average number of sperm present in one sample of semen.
World Health organization (WHO), normal sperm count to get pregnant ranges from 15 million to more than 200 million per milliliter of semen.
Doctors consider a sperm count below 15 million per milliliter to be low, and it may cause fertility problem. In this case, you may need to make sperm stronger for pregnancy by using natural foods and supplements suggested here.
Although Oligospermia is the major cause of male infertility, men with low sperm count can also produce sperms, and the sperms are also found in the ejaculate.
Low sperm count is not the only quality that is considered for; Sperm motility and morphology are also considered. If a sperm is not motile, it won’t reach the eggs and if it has an abnormal morphology it won’t be able to fertilize the egg.
Infertility is not gender based. Low sperm count is one of the infertility problem men faced. It decreases the odds that sperm will fertilize your partners egg, resulting in pregnancy. Sperm production is a process that requires the proper functioning of the testicles, pituitary gland, and hypothalamus (organs in the brain that produces hormones that triggers sperm production).
Once sperm is produced delicate tubes transport them to mix with semen and ejaculate out of the penis.
The commonest symptoms of low sperm count are.
*Swollen and Enlarge veins in scrotum.
*Swelling or lumps in the testicles area.
*Sexual functioning issues -inability to maintain an erection.
For some men there are no obvious symptoms, the only find out they have low sperm count when their partner is unable to conceive.
Causes Of Low Sperm Count
The cause of low sperm count could be divided into three major factors.
* Environmental factor.
This is the most common factor that causes low sperm count. Your lifestyle plays an important role in your health. This includes;
*Stress: It causes hormonal imbalance. Male who feel stressed are more likely to have low sperm concentrations.
*Drugs: Hard drugs such as marijuana and cocaine can decrease the sperm count as well as affecting the quality of sperm. Anabolic steroids which are used to stimulate muscles strength shrink the testicles thereby causing low sperm count.
*Excessive smoking of tobacco
*Alcohol abuse: Men who take excessive intake of alcohol are most likely to suffer from low sperm count.
*Obesity: Excess body fat keeps the testosterone levels below normal; this implies that too much body weight is also a major cause of low sperm count.
Pituitary gland, hypothalamus and testicles produce hormones that create sperm. Alteration in such hormones can impact the overall sperm quality.
Difficulties in ejaculation:
Certain drugs may lead to ejaculation problem while health issues such as diabetes, spinal injury, surgery of the bladder, prostrate or urethra leads to retrograde ejaculate.
This is cause by defective valves in the vein within the scrotum, just above the testicles. When normal flow doesn’t occur blood back up causing the veins to enlarge which could lead to overheating. Failure to treat varicocele affects the number, motility, and quality of sperm.
Sexual transmitted infection such as gonorrhea, HIV can reduce sperm amount in semen
Inherited disorder such as Klinefelter’s syndrome-in which a male Child is born with two x chromosome and one y chromosome causes abnormality in reproductive organs. This could also lead to low sperm count.
Some jobs put men under risk of fertility problem. Industrial chemicals such as benzene, toluene, xylene, pesticide may lead to a decrease in sperm production.
Radiation or x-ray:
Exposure to radiation can lead to permanent sperm reduction. Frequent use of hot Tubs or sauna might impair sperm count, sitting for long periods, wearing tight clothing or working on a computer or phone for a long time increases the temperature in your scrotum and reduce sperm production. Radiation could also lead to azoospermia-a complete absence of sperm.
Constant Exposure to metals.
Treatments (Ways to Increase Sperm Count with Natural Foods and Supplements)
According to world health organization (WHO), Low sperm treatment helps maximum of 70% to regain fertility. The following are ways of treatment for low sperm count;
- Infection treatment: Antibiotics are used to cure various infections in the reproductive tracts, but it cannot bring back fertility.
- Hormonal therapy: Hormonal supplement such as anastrozole, clomiphene citrate could naturally restore pituitary glands and testicles hormone balance
- Surgery: Varicoceles are best treated with surgery. During surgery, the doctor will close off the enlarged vein, redirecting the blood flow to another vein.
- Lifestyle: Changes such as weight loss, managing stress, avoiding hot tubs, steroids, and tobacco. Also eat healthy, avoid excessive consumption of medicine, exercise regularly, limit alcohol intake, increase intake of vitamin and calcium can help boost sperm production.
- Treating sexual related problem: This treatment is meant to treat conditions that are related to premature ejaculation and dysfunction.
- Genetic test: Genetic testing is usually requested by a doctor to understand the root of the problem. This helps to recover samples from testicles, and this may also reveal if sperm count is normal. However, this test is mostly use in serious cases of infertility.
- Post ejaculation urinalysis (PEU): Is a test perform to check the presence of sperm in the urine which is caused by a condition called as retrograde ejaculation. This test helps to identify the fact that your sperm is travelling backward into the bladder instead of ejaculating out the penis especially during ejaculation
- Assisted Reproductive technology (ART): This involves retrieving sperm through a normal ejaculation process or surgical ejaculation. In certainly cases sperm donor are require. The sperm is then inserted into the female genital tract for vis IVF treatment. This will help partner to get pregnant
Food That Improve Sperm count
Below are 8 Proven Ways to Increase Sperm Count with Natural Foods and Supplements
Citrus fruits (citrus and lemonade)
Whole wheat grains (brown rice)
Oyster and salmon
Supplement and Vitamins That Increase Sperm Count
- Zinc: Sufficient amount of zinc consumption boost makes ferity. Zinc are found in food such as eggs and fish. Zinc improves testosterone levels and sperm count among men.
- D-Aspartic supplement: Research has it that the above supplement increase testosterone level, but you need to see a doctor before taking this supplement
- Vitamin c: Vitamin C improves fertility among men. Research has it that vitamin c increase sperm motility. Vitamin C helps the body to attack harmful effect that are blocking the body from producing sperm.
- Vitamin D: An observational study shows that men with vitamin D deficiency were more likely to have low testosterone level. High vitamin D level boast sperm motility. Vitamin D is important in male fertility.
Infertility in men can be treated if it caused by stress or other lifestyle-based issues. The person involved only needs to change his lifestyle. If infertility is caused due to genetic problem, then the chances of fathering a child is low. In this case you and your partner could consider using sperm from a donor.
If you follow this article properly, you will be able to increase your sperm count with natural foods and supplements.